Faulty/Defective Equipment

Faulty / Defective Equipment Accident Compensation Claims

Faulty or defective equipment is a common cause of injuries in the work place. Following the implementation of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1992 your employer is under a duty to ensure that the equipment/machinery and vehicles you use at work are:-

  • Suitable for their intended use;
  • Safe for use, maintained in a safe condition and, this remains the case;
  • Used only by people who have received adequate instruction and training; and
  • Accompanied by suitable safety measures, eg protective devices, markings, warnings.

Sadly faulty equipment still causes injuries in the workplace and you might be entitled to compensation if your employer has been negligent.

Many accidents can be reduced by:

  1. Ensuring that work equipment is maintained in efficient working order and in good repair, by carrying out regular inspections of machinery and equipment especially if the equipment is exposed to conditions likely to cause deterioration.
  2. Ensuring that employees have received full training in relation to the equipment or machinery that they will use.
  3. Ensuring measures are taken to protect employees against dangerous machinery and parts and providing the necessary personal protective equipment.
  4. Alerting employees to any potential dangers by completing a risk assessment, which has highlighted specific risks.
  5. Withdrawing faulty work equipment from use immediately until it has been repaired so as to prevent injury to employees.

If you have suffered from an injury at work, WE solicitors can help to claim the compensation you need and deserve. Call us on 0800 206 1616 now.

If necessary we solicitors will report employers to the Health and Safety Executive in order for them to investigate the matter and if necessary prosecute employers.

What to do if I have been involved in an accident?

If you have been harmed during the course of your employment you should do the following:

  1. Report your accident to you supervisor/boss.
  2. Ensure the accident has been recorded in the Accident book, ensuring you have read the contents and are happy with the accident circumstances.
  3. If you have been off work for over 3 days due to an accident related accident/illness your employer should complete a RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Report) report should be completed and sent to the HSE.