Fall From Heights

Fall From Heights Accident Compensation Claims

Falling from height is a common way to get injured at work especially in construction work however these also include falls from ladders, stairs, openings in the floor to name a few. It is such a problem that the government introduced specific legislation in order to try and reduce the number of persons getting injured.

The Work at Height Regulations 2005 were introduced with the following aims:-

  • avoid working at height where possible;
  • use work equipment or other measures to prevent falls where working at height cannot be avoided; and
  • where the the risk of a fall cannot be eliminated then to use work equipment or other measures to minimise the distance and consequences of a fall should one occur.

Ladders for example should be attached in a secure manner and so that it cannot be moved. A portable ladder should be prevented from slipping by securing the stiles at or near their upper or lower ends; and have an effective anti-slip or other effective stability device or there should be another arrangement of equivalent effectiveness.

A ladder used for access should be long enough to protrude sufficiently above the place of landing to which it provides access, unless other measures have been taken to ensure a firm handhold.

Every ladder should always have a secure handhold and secure support available to the user; and a safe handhold should be available when carrying a load unless, in the case of a step ladder, the maintenance of a handhold is not practicable when a load is carried, and a risk assessment Regulations has demonstrated that the use of a stepladder is justified because there is a low risk and the duration of use is short.

Sadly falls from a height still occur and you might be entitled to compensation if your employer has been negligent.

If you have suffered from an injury at work, WE solicitors can help to claim the compensation you need and deserve. Call us on 0800 206 1616 now.

If necessary we solicitors will report employers to the Health and Safety Executive in order for them to investigate the matter and if necessary prosecute employers.

What to do if I have been involved in an accident?

If you have been harmed during the course of your employment you should do the following:

  1. Report your accident to you supervisor/boss.
  2. Ensure the accident has been recorded in the Accident book, ensuring you have read the contents and are happy with the accident circumstances.
  3. If you have been off work for over 3 days due to an accident related accident/illness your employer should complete a RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Report) report should be completed and sent to the HSE.